Starting a makeup business can be an extremely rewarding experience! However, it’s important to take the time to brand your business in a way that will set you apart from the competition. Not sure how to brand your makeup business?
Don’t worry, we’re here to help!
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about successfully branding your makeup business from start to finish. We’ll cover topics such as creating a logo and tagline, developing a marketing strategy, and building a website that will help promote your brand.
With the right tools and knowledge, YOU can create a successful makeup artist brand that will attract new customers and help your business grow!
Dream of being a professional MUA? Then this Ultimate Guide to becoming a makeup artist (even with no prior experience) is a MUST-READ!
What Is a “Brand”?
A brand is much more than just a logo or name. It’s the overall look, feel, and personality of your business. When done correctly, branding can make your business appear more credible, trustworthy, and likeable. As you can imagine, these are all qualities that are essential for attracting new customers!
Why Branding Is Important for Makeup Artists
As an MUA, it’s important to stand out from the competition. After all, there are thousands of other makeup artists out there vying for the attention of potential clients. So, it’s important to create a brand that will make you memorable!
Branding can also help build trust with potential clients. When you have a strong brand identity, potential clients will be more likely to book you for their next event knowing that you’re a credible and trustworthy makeup artist.
Another reason why branding is essential to your makeup business has to do with marketing. A well-branded business will have an easier time promoting itself and attracting new customers. This is because people are more likely to remember and purchase products from businesses that they recognize!
What Makes a Brand Successful?
There are a few key elements that all successful brands have in common…
First, all great brands have a strong visual identity. This means having a well-designed logo and cohesive branding colors that are used consistently across all marketing materials.
Second, another important element of successful brands is a clear and concise message. Your brand’s message should be easy to understand and should accurately reflect the overall feel of your business.
Finally, all successful brands have a target audience that they focus their marketing efforts on. By clearly defining who your target market is, you’ll be able to create branding and marketing materials that resonates with them and attract new customers!
How To Brand Your Business Name
Your business name is one of the first things that potential customers will see. So, it’s important to choose something that accurately reflects the feel of your brand!
If you’re having trouble coming up with a name for your business, try brainstorming a list of words that describe the overall look and feel of your brand. Once you have a list of keywords, try combining them to create unique and memorable names for your business!
Did you know that there are 5 KEY RULES to keep in mind when naming your makeup business? Discover what they are here!
How To Brand Your Makeup Business: What Are The 4 Steps of Branding?
Now that we’ve covered the importance of branding and what makes a brand successful, let’s discuss the steps you need to take to create a strong brand for your makeup business!
Step 1: Creating a Logo and Tagline
Once you’ve settled on a name for your business, the first real step in branding your makeup business is to create a logo and tagline that accurately represents your brand. Your logo should be simple and easy to remember, while your tagline should be reflective of the overall feel of your business.
For example, if you’re aiming to create a luxury brand, then your logo and tagline should reflect that. Think about using luxurious fonts and colors in your branding materials. Alternatively, if you’re going for a more natural look, then your branding should reflect that as well.
Designing Your Logo
As we’ve just mentioned, your logo is an important part of your visual identity and should be used consistently across all marketing materials. When designing a logo, keep in mind the overall look and feel of your brand. Try to use colors and fonts that reflect the personality of your business!
If you’re not a designer, don’t worry! There are plenty of logo design templates available online that you can use to create a professional-looking logo for your business.
Deciding On Your Tagline
In addition to a strong visual identity, all great brands have a clear and concise message that accurately reflects the overall feel of their business. This is where your tagline comes in!
Your tagline should be reflective of the type of makeup artist you are and the services you offer. For example, if you specialize in natural makeup looks, then your tagline could be something like: “The perfect blend of natural beauty and artistry.”
If you need some help coming up with the optimal tagline for your business, try out this free slogan generator on Shopify!
Step 2: Developing a Marketing Strategy
The next step in branding your makeup business is to develop a marketing strategy. This will involve creating marketing materials such as business cards, flyers, and social media posts that accurately represent your brand.
When developing your marketing strategy, it’s important to keep your target audience in mind. This will ensure that your marketing materials are focused on attracting the right type of customer!
Step 3: Creating a Brand Voice
The third step in branding your makeup business is to create a brand voice. This is the overall tone and personality of your business that should be reflected in all marketing materials.
For example, if you’re aiming for a luxury brand, then your brand voice should be sophisticated and upscale. Alternatively, if you’re going for a more natural look, then your brand voice should be earthy and down-to-earth.
Step 4: Consistency is Key
The final step in branding your makeup business is to be consistent! This means using the same logo, colors, fonts, and messaging across all marketing materials. By being consistent with your branding, you’ll make it easier for potential customers to remember and recognize your business.
Creating a Makeup Artist Brand: Why Proper Training is Essential
Next, let’s discuss why proper training is essential for any successful MUA.
As a makeup artist, it’s important to have extensive knowledge of the products you’re using – as well as how to apply them correctly. This not only ensures that your clients are happy with their makeup; it also helps to build trust in your brand!
In addition, by receiving proper training, you’ll be able to develop your own unique style and voice as a makeup artist. In turn, it’ll then be easier for you to stand out from other artists in your field and attract new clients!
Receiving proper training is essential for any makeup artist who wants to build a successful career. Not only will it help you to provide excellent service to your clients… It will also allow you to develop your own unique style and voice.
Why You Should Train with QC Makeup Academy
If you’re ready to start training as a makeup artist, then your best bet is to enroll with QC Makeup Academy! QC Makeup Academy is a faculty of QC Career School – a pioneer of distance learning since 1984. We proudly hold an A+ ranking with the Better Business Bureau, and have over 200 raving reviews on Facebook alone.
The beauty of all of our courses is that they’re 100% self-paced and online. Thus, you get to complete your makeup certification training whenever and wherever YOU want! Starting from the date you first enroll, you’ll have a full 2 years to finish your program. However, many of our graduates have found that by devoting a mere 1-2 hours per week to their studies, they were able to graduate in as little as 2-6 months… Sometimes sooner!
QC Makeup Academy offers a 21-Day Money Back Guarantee, and all of the certifications provided through our school are internationally-recognized. Currently, we offer the following courses for makeup artists of all experience and skill levels:
- Makeup Artistry
- Master Makeup Artistry
- Pro Makeup
- Global Beauty Workshop
- Portfolio Development Workshop
- Airbrush Makeup Workshop
- Special FX Makeup
- Fashion Styling
- Hair Styling Essentials
- Virtual Makeup Training
Interested in learning more about these online makeup courses? Check out all of our individual programs in FULL detail here!
Branding a Makeup Artist Business Online: Your Website, Social Media, and Marketing Strategies
Now that you know all about branding your makeup business, let’s talk about how to put your brand online!
Your Business Website
One of the most important aspects of creating a successful makeup artist brand is having an excellent website. Your website should be beautiful, user-friendly, and informative. It should also be fully optimized for search engines so that potential clients can easily find you online!
Here are some examples of how you can use your website to reflect your brand:
- Use your brand colors, fonts, and logo throughout your website design!
- Write compelling content that accurately reflects your tone of voice and style as a makeup artist!
- Include high-quality images (preferably professional photos) of your work!
- Use social media widgets to link to your accounts on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.!
- Make sure your contact information is prominently displayed and easy to find!
Pro Tip: Your professional makeup portfolio can also be used to help reflect your brand! If you don’t have a portfolio yet, make sure to check out our Portfolio Development Workshop!
Your Social Media Accounts
In addition to having a website, you should also make sure to create social media accounts for your business. These days, potential clients are often more likely to find you through Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok than they are through a Google search.
That’s why it’s so important to make sure that your social media accounts are active, well-curated, and informative!
Here are some tips for creating a strong social media presence:
- Consistently post high-quality content that accurately reflects your brand!
- Engage with other users regularly – like, comment, and share other people’s posts!
- Use relevant hashtags to help potential clients find your content!
- Run regular social media promotions and giveaways to help grow your following!
Furthermore, here are some BONUS tips to help properly incorporate your brand into your social media channels:
- Use your brand colors, fonts, and logo in your social media profile images and bios!
- Write compelling descriptions of your business that accurately reflect your brand!
- When writing post descriptions, replying to comments, and responding to DMs, speak in a way that’s consistent with your brand voice!
- Include links to your website and contact information in your social media bios!
Pro Tip: Not sure how to get started with branding your makeup business online? All of QC Makeup Academy’s certification courses come with a FULL unit devoted entirely to business training… And this is just one of the many topics that will be covered for you!
Your Marketing Strategies
Now that you have a website and social media accounts for your makeup business, it’s time to start marketing yourself online! There are many different ways to market your business online, but some of the most effective methods include search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, ad marketing, and email marketing.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing
One of the best ways to market your makeup business online is through SEO marketing. Essentially, this involves optimizing your website and social media accounts so that they rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). As a result, this will help potential clients find you more easily online!
Here are some tips for improving your SEO:
- Use relevant keywords throughout your website and social media content!
- Make sure your website is fully optimized for search engines!
- Link to your website and social media accounts from other websites and online directories!
Another great way to market your makeup business online is through content marketing. This involves creating high-quality blog posts, videos, infographics, etc. that are relevant to your business. Not only will this help improve your SEO, but it will also give potential clients a better idea of what you do and how you can help them!
Here are some tips for successful online marketing:
- Make sure your website is fully optimized for search engines! This includes using relevant keywords throughout your website’s content, as well as in your titles, tags, and descriptions.
- Use social media to drive traffic to your website! You can do this by sharing links to your website on your social media accounts, or by running social media ads that direct users to your site.
- Create high-quality content that accurately reflects your brand! This could include blog posts, videos, infographics, etc. Once you’ve created this content, make sure to share it on your social media channels and through email newsletters.
Another effective way to market your makeup business online is through ad marketing. This involves creating and running online ads that promote your business. Ad marketing can be a great way to reach potential clients who might not otherwise find you online!
Here are some tips for successful ad campaigns:
- Choose the right platforms for your ads! Make sure to research where your target audience is most active, and then place your ads accordingly.
- Create compelling ad content that accurately reflects your brand! Your headlines and descriptions should be clear, concise, and attention-grabbing.
- Include relevant keywords in your ad content! This will help improve your SEO and ensure that potential clients see your ad when they search for related terms online.
Finally, email marketing is another great way to market your makeup business online. This involves sending newsletters, promotional offers, and other updates to your email list. Moreover, email marketing can be a great way to keep potential clients up-to-date on what you’re doing, as well as promote special offers and discounts!
Here are some tips for successful email marketing:
- Build up your email list by offering something of value in exchange for sign-ups! This could be a free eBook, discount code, or access to exclusive content.
- Segment your email list so that you can send targeted messages to specific groups of people! For example, you might segment your list by location, age group, or interests.
- Make sure your emails are clear, concise, and attention-grabbing! Include compelling subject lines and eye-catching images to encourage people to open and read your messages.
Sending out regular email newsletters is a great way to keep potential clients up-to-date on what you’re doing, as well as promote special offers and discounts!
3 Small Makeup Business Branding Examples That Do It Right
Now that we’ve gone over some general tips for branding your makeup business, let’s take a look at 3 small businesses whose branding game is on POINT!
(Fun Fact: All of the MUAs we’re about to spotlight are either QC Makeup Academy students or alumni!)
Everything about Savannah Rose’s makeup style screams, “GLAM!” And the aesthetic – as well as content shared – on both her website and Instagram pages reflect that! Notice how the choice of a soft, baby pink for her business’s primary color – as well as the fonts for her name itself – lend to the overall feel of her brand.
Furthermore, Savannah actually has TWO Instagram accounts for her business. The first focuses more on her makeup work, while the other is meant to showcase her own cosmetic line. Importantly, the branding remains consistent across both accounts.
A few other smart marketing moves that Savannah has made include:
- Her makeup Instagram (@savannahrosemakeupstudio) links to her secondary Instagram account (@savannahrosecosmetics) right in her bio – making it one of the very first things you see when viewing her channel.
- Moreover, Savannah’s makeup IG’s bio uses hashtags that are on-brand for her business, highlights her level of experience and most notable accomplishments, and provides a direct email address to contact her.
- Her cosmetics Instagram account links to her business website in the bio, thus making it easy for followers to access it.
- This business IG account also lists notable information about her services and accessibility in the bio as well.
- Savannah’s official website maintains the colors and overall aesthetic of her brand, while also providing all of the must-know information in a visually appealing, easy-to-navigate way.
A Los Angeles/Orange County-based makeup artist, Caitlin specializes in celebrity makeup and editorial work. As such, her brand is very poised, polished, and refined. Every photo of her work is of remarkable quality – down to the selfies she occasionally posts, too!
The vibe we get straight away – both when viewing Caitlin’s Instagram and her website – is “professional, stylish, and high-end”. This is especially reflected on Caitlin’s website through her minimalist layout, as well as the information she chooses to highlight (notably, the “Work”, “Published”, and “Clients” sections).
Some of the smart business choices Caitlin has made on her Instagram account and website include:
- In her Instagram bio, Caitlin immediately states her professional qualifications as an MUA, as well as where she’s based.
- Furthermore, she includes where she has trained (QC Makeup Academy) and provides a direct link to her website.
- Caitlin’s default page on her website is her portfolio. This is a smart move, as it means her impressive work will be the very first thing clients will see when checking out her site!
- Her website also includes all of the essential info clients need to know, such as: contact info, background info about Caitlin, where her work has been published, etc.
- Importantly, Caitlin’s website also ensures to link viewers back to her Instagram through a clickable icon located at both the top right and bottom center of her webpages.
International Skincare Consulting Professional (ISCP), Natalie Walcott, is a graduate of QC Makeup Academy’s Skincare Course. She’s also currently a student of QC’s Master Makeup Artistry Course and Special FX Makeup Course, too!
Now, Natalie actually runs TWO different businesses: Natalie Walcott Makeup and Natalie Walcott Skin. Both businesses have their own website, as well as their own individual Instagram accounts. In terms of makeup, Natalie specializes in the following areas:
- TV, commercial, and film
- Beauty and editorial
- Special effects
With regard to her skincare business, Natalie offers skincare consulting, waxing, facials, microdermabrasion, and more. Brand-wise, her makeup business more strongly reflects a consistent image and aesthetic, so we’ll focus primarily on that as our example.
When viewing Natalie’s makeup Instagram page, the first thing we see is that all of her content gives us a crystal-clear understanding of the types of makeup Natalie excels at. Immediately, we know that if we’re in need of an editorial and/or SFX makeup artist, we’ve come to the right place!
Furthermore, this impression is further solidified when visiting Natalie’s website. The crisp black and white color contrast – as well as the chosen fonts – give off a professional, earnest energy. Even the layout of Natalie’s site adds to this vibe, with the overall feeling being that she is an MUA who takes her work seriously and holds herself to a high standard.
Important things to note about Natalie’s social media accounts and websites include:
- All of her platforms link to one another! For example, her skincare website links to her makeup website (and makeup Instagram page) – whereas her makeup Instagram page links to her makeup website, as well as her skincare Instagram account, right in the bio.
- Natalie also has industry-related blogs, which she links to on both of her respective websites.
- On her makeup website, Natalie offers viewers 2 portfolios that can be viewed separately (“Beauty” and “Effects”). This is an excellent option for prospective clients who may want to see specific types of Natalie’s work!
- Moreover, her makeup website also contains pertinent information that’s very easy to find – such as an About Me page, contact info, her resume, full portfolios from past client projects, and more!
How To Start Your Own Makeup Business
Now that we’ve taken a look at some examples of established makeup businesses, let’s discuss how YOU can start your own!
First and foremost, it’s important to have a clear understanding of what type of makeup artist you want to be. As we saw with Savannah, Caitlin, and Natalie, each one has their own unique specialty within the industry. So, ask yourself:
- Which type(s) of makeup are you most passionate about?
- Who is your target audience/clientele?
- Do you want to have a niche and be known for specific styles of makeup?
- Or, alternately, would you like to be seen as a Jack-of-all-trades?
Answering these questions will help give you a better idea of what direction to take your business in. From there, we strongly recommend giving these articles a read, as they will help further your understanding of launching (and running) a successful makeup business:
So, How Do You Turn Your Business Into a Brand?
As we’ve seen, there are a multitude of ways to successfully brand your makeup business. Some key things to remember are:
- Be clear about what type of makeup artist you want to be, and make sure this is reflected in both your social media presence and website.
- Think about the overall image/aesthetic you want your business to have, and be consistent with this across all platforms.
- Make sure your website is informative and easy to navigate – especially if you’re targeting potential clients!
- Offer potential clients something unique that they can’t find elsewhere.
- And last but not least, don’t forget the power of SEO! Utilizing keywords throughout your website and social media accounts is essential for helping people discover your business.
We hope this article was helpful, and we wish you the best of luck as you start (or continue) your journey in the makeup industry!
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Let us know in the comments below! And be sure to stay tuned for future articles by Beauty Buzz for more tips and tricks on all things beauty-related!
Until next time – stay glam, beauties! 😘