Tell us a little bit about yourself!
My name is Paula Alleyne. I am married, live in the wonderful Caribbean island of Barbados, and I decided to take makeup artistry more seriously within the last three years. It’s only when I started on my professional makeup journey that I realized my love for makeup actually began years ago.
When I was younger, I remember doing makeup on my neighbor. I loved being able to do something that helped boost her self esteem. I also always loved to read makeup books and fashion magazines, and I was absolutely enthralled with eye shadows.
As I became serious about makeup artistry, I became more selective of who I followed on social media. Once I knew that I wanted to only learn from the best, I decided I wanted to become professionally trained.
Why did you decide to become a professional makeup artist?
The answer to this is two-fold:
- I wanted to develop my brand as a qualified makeup professional, and
- I didn’t want to just follow what everyone was doing on social media. Instead, I wanted to learn the actual techniques and proper education behind makeup application.
How would you describe your makeup style? Do you have a particular niche?
My makeup style is clean and classic. My niche is for persons who prefer natural enhancements of their features through makeup application.
You’ve recently become one of QC Makeup Academy’s Student Ambassadors. Congratulations! Can you tell us a little bit about what your new role will entail?
As a Student Ambassador, my main responsibilities entail:
- Encouraging new students who have enrolled in QC’s online makeup school
- Providing support and encouragement within the Virtual Classroom on Facebook
- Promoting QC Makeup Academy as an institution of quality learning
- Creating high quality content, such as blog articles
- Directing potential students who may have queries about QC’s online makeup school and educational process
Interested in becoming a Student Ambassador of QC Makeup Academy? Submit your application here!
Your makeup business specializes in editorial and bridal services. What is it about these areas of the beauty industry that appeal to you the most?
These areas appeal to me because they fit right into my style of natural, clean beauty!
What has been the most challenging (and the most rewarding) part of starting your own business?
Firstly, the most challenging part was being confident in my style. Due to social media, I observed that many persons loved the heavily applied makeup and heavily sculpted features. As a professional artist, I can create that look if needed. However, I prefer to enhance a person’s features – not transform it into something that’s not theirs.
The most rewarding is when clients request my services, and it’s because they want the natural enhancements, and they love the finished product!
How did your online makeup school training assist you in your journey of starting and running a successful MUA business?
Obtaining an education with QC Makeup Academy assisted in my journey in numerous ways:
- I became knowledgeable about makeup application techniques for various faces. Each client has their own unique skin tone, skin type, eye and facial shape, etc. Understanding these differences assists with providing an application that’s best suited for each individual.
- QC’s online makeup school has always promoted professionalism on the job, and this is a value which has greatly helped me in my interactions with clients. I always seek to maintain professionalism on the job. In fact, I’ve had many clients recognize and comment on this!
- QC Makeup Academy provides business insights for makeup artists, such as the development of contracts and business document templates. These customizable templates have proven incredibly useful in my own business transactions!
You graduated from QC’s Master Makeup Artistry course with flying colors! Overall, how did you find the program?
How was your experience being tutored by QC executive instructor and celebrity makeup artist, Nathan Johnson?
It was great! Having Nathan critique my work was such a confidence booster. He was always encouraging, yet critical. His feedback motivated me to continuously improve. Hearing an expert within the field commend my work made me recognize that once quality was maintained, it surpassed geographical boundaries!
What made you want to enroll in online makeup school, and why did you ultimately choose QC Makeup Academy?
Before pursuing online makeup school, I originally looked around for a brick-and-mortar school where I lived. However, the options appeared extremely limited, and I was unsure about the depth of content.
I then decided to pursue online learning. Whatever I chose, I knew it had to be flexible, as my time was already limited. Just as importantly, I had to be convinced that the online makeup school in question wasn’t a sham.
I ultimately chose QC Makeup Academy when I saw how active they are on social media. I realized it was also an established educational institution, accredited with an A+ ranking by the Better Business Bureau. All of this definitely allayed my fears, and showed me that QC is a legitimate as they come!
What advice would you give aspiring makeup artists who are considering online makeup school in order to earn their professional certification?
Go for it! “Never stop learning” is one of my stances. In this current environment, and in light of COVID-19, there’s been such a surge in online learning. It has become the new norm, and is truly the safest form of obtaining a solid education these days! Earning a professional certification can only enhance your ability, so don’t delay.
What’s in store for PAULA MONIQUE in the next year?
Glad you asked! You should look out for some educational content coming soon. Starting out as a professional makeup artist can be daunting. Breaking into the industry and finding solid, professional advice can feel a bit tricky at first. You can easily fall prey to trends promoted on social media.
I’m still learning, and will always be learning. Therefore, I invite everyone to learn alongside me as I engage industry professionals on topics surrounding makeup artistry!