Summer is just around the corner. That means you should seriously consider updating your professional makeup artist kit to fit the upcoming season! Even if you live in a place where you don’t have major climate changes that force you to use different products, you should still update your kit to reflect summer style choices.
Keep on reading for some tips on how to get your makeup kit summer ready.
Get to Spring Cleaning
Spring cleaning shouldn’t be reserved for your house! The first thing you need to do is go through all your products and look at the expiration dates. Get rid of anything that is expired, empty, or no longer of use. Now is the time to get rid of that dry mascara tube that you haven’t gotten around to throwing away.
You should also examine your brushes and sponges to see if they need an update. The difference between an old, used-up brush and a new brush is huge! New tools can do wonders for your makeup application. It might be your very first blush brush and you just don’t want to part with it. But be honest with yourself, and get rid of your worn out brushes. Your clients will thank you!
Expand Your Kit
Now that you have a stripped-down kit with only your best products, it’s time to round it out with new products! If you had to ditch a couple of brushes or palettes, get replacements. Try out our top 10 favorite summer makeup products from Sephora. Remember that summer weather offers a lot of different skin challenges that you should be prepared for. You might want to purchase some sweat- and water-proof makeup products, for example. Here are some of our favorite sweat proof products:
- Foundation: Foundation can be tricky in the summer months. You want a nice lightweight look and feel without it rubbing off in the first few hours of having it on. You should definitely consider investing in some liquid foundations and staying away from any heavy powders! That’s why we recommend pairing the Urban Decay’s Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup with a lightweight moisturizing primer like Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This combination will allow your clients skin to breath while maintaining a natural and long-lasting finish!
- Concealer: The last thing anyone wants is to sweat off their concealer to reveal their blemishes. We suggest going for creamier waterproof concealers in the summer like Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Concealer. You’ll be able to create a flawless face on your client without having a chalky effect.
- Setting: All looks benefit from setting products but summer-sweat proofing makes it a necessity! Lock in your look with a lightweight finishing powder like Make Up For Ever’s HD Microfinishing Loose Powder or a setting spray like Urban Decay’s All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.
- Brows: Benefit’s Gimme Brow + Volumizing Eyebrow Gel is a perfect choice to get a long lasting brow. Thankfully, this product is buildable! So your client can have a more subtle look or go for full-on Cara Delevingne brows.
- Eyes: To get your shadows and liners to stay on all day in the summer heat, we love the Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Portion! It prevents creasing and prepares your clients lids to last all day long. You can also go for the Primer Potion in a tint like Caffeine or Sin and skip the shadow all together!
Summer is also the best time for color experimentation! Although color preferences are a client’s personal choice, people are much more open to fun and bright hues in the warmer weather. So swap out your matte burgundy liquid lipstick for a dewy bubblegum pink lip-gloss! You don’t have to kick out all your winter shades (a red lip is in style no matter the season), but consider hot pinks, pastels, and neon hues.
Caution: Pay attention to your client’s skin undertones. An amazing bright yellow eyeshadow will make some people’s eyes pop, but it can make others skin look grey and corpse-like. If you’re worried about playing with color, try taking an online makeup artistry course this summer. You’ll learn everything you need to know so that you won’t create any accidental zombies.
Know Your Season
Say goodbye to people spending most of their time inside and the drying air of indoor heaters. Although keeping skin hydrated should always be a priority, the focus in the summer months is creating a sweat resistant, long-lasting look that can handle all that sun and heat. This means picking a broad-spectrum SPF 60 sunscreen for clients (yes, you should still have been using sunscreen on your clients in the winter). Don’t forget to include a chapstick with SPF 15+ into their regular makeup routine. Nothing ruins a bright summer lip faster than flaking. Exfoliating a sunburn, even if it’s minor, doesn’t help the skin and is also painful, so prevent it!
Learn the Trends
Summer makeup is all about having light-weight makeup, great skin, and a sun-kissed glow! Help your clients get a natural-looking glow without going into the sun. Use the trusty sunscreen-bronzer-highlighter combination. Learn more about different bronzer and highlighters options for your summer kit with our guide.
Don’t be afraid to experiment! Follow trends like colored and iridescent highlighters and festival glitter looks. You won’t always have requests for these types of looks, but it doesn’t hurt to incorporate them into your skill set. Try different looks, styles, and products. You never know, you might even come up with the next big thing!
It might seem like a lot of work to get your makeup artist kit summer ready, but it’s totally worth it. After you’re done, you’ll feel fresh and ready for the new season! It improves your kits hygiene but it can also get you inspired and excited after all that cold weather. So what are you waiting for? Go grab your kit and start the transition!