QC’s Guide to Building Your Makeup Artistry & Master Makeup Artistry Kit—Part 2
Last week we took you through what should be included in your professional makeup artistry kit once you’re a seasoned veteran. But first, you have to think about what you’ll need right now for your courses! On top of your bonus makeup kit, you’ll need a few extra tools to complete your assignments and start building your kit.
Curious to know exactly what you’ll need for your QC Makeup Academy Makeup Artistry or Master Makeup Artistry course? We’ve listed the products you’ll need per unit. And of course any time you use the products in your kits, you’ll also need to bring out your trusty stash of makeup brushes and tools!
Note: Unit A is your introductory unit to makeup artistry and will focus on theory-based assignments.
Makeup Artistry & Master Makeup Artistry: Unit B
In this unit, you’ll be learning foundational techniques such as identifying skin and face types, basic makeup application, and corrective makeup. You’ll also have the opportunity to do some optional business units—you won’t be needing your makeup kit for these, though!
- Your makeup kit with all the basic makeup in it (concealer, foundation, powder, brow makeup, eye makeup, cheek makeup, lip makeup essentials, etc.)
- Your QC Makeup Academy blush palette or a bright and a soft blush of your choosing
- Your QC Makeup Academy eyeshadow palette or two bright eyeshadow colors of your choice and some natural eyeshadow colors (browns, beiges, pale pinks, etc.)
- Your QC Makeup Academy lip gloss palette and/or a natural shade of lipstick with matching liner
- Your QC Makeup Academy concealer palette or concealer products of your choosing
- Products for mature skin (ex. mica-based powder, brightening primer, cream blush, etc.)
Makeup Artistry & Master Makeup Artistry: Unit C
In this unit, you’ll be learning how to do complete looks. These looks will cover different criteria so your application skills and makeup tools will change from assignment to assignment.
- Your QC Makeup Academy eyeshadow palette or a palette of your choice (must include a neutral base color, neutral contour color, and dark contour color)
- Black eyeliner
- Brow makeup (brow powder, pencil, gel, etc.)
Makeup Artistry & Master Makeup Artistry: Unit D
This is the final unit in the Makeup Artistry course! In this unit, you’ll learn about bridal makeup and current makeup trends to round-off your makeup artistry skills. After this unit, you’re all set to go out and practice makeup on your own. If you chose the Master Makeup Artistry course, you’ll refine your skills some more in 2 additional units (we’ll talk about those next!).
- Your makeup kit with all your basic makeup
- Your QC Makeup Academy blush palette or a blush palette of your choice*
- Your QC Makeup Academy eyeshadow palette or an eyeshadow palette of your choice*
- Your QC Makeup Academy gloss palette or lip products in your preferred formula*
*The color selection will depend on the looks you decide to create
Master Makeup Artistry: Unit E
In this unit, you’ll be focusing on editorial and high fashion looks. For example, you’ll learn how to do makeup for photography, how to complement a fashion designer’s work with your makeup, and even how to create breathtaking fantasy looks!
- Your makeup kit with all your basic makeup
- Your QC Makeup Academy eyeshadow palette or an eyeshadow palette with neutral colors (browns, beiges, pale pinks, etc.)
- Your QC Makeup Academy blush palette or a soft blush of your choosing
- Your QC Makeup Academy gloss palette and/or natural shade of lipstick and matching liner
- Products needed for fantasy makeup*
- Optional: Basic hair styling products (brushes, hairspray, hair pins, etc.)
*The products you use will depend on your fantasy makeup creations. Consider items like cosmetic glitter, greasepaints, water-activated pigments (ex. Kryolan’s Aquacolor products), false eyelashes, etc.
Master Makeup Artistry: Unit F
The final unit for Master Makeup Artistry students! In this unit, you’ll explore how to do makeup in the entertainment industry—specifically in theatre, film, and television! You’ll learn how to work on set with production crews and performers, and how to bring characters to life using your makeup skills.
- A bruise wheel or cream-based makeup
- Finishing spray or alcohol
- Your makeup kit, plus stage makeup products needed to create the look of your choice
You can work with industry-standard stage makeup from brands like Mehron, Visiora, Kryolan, and RCMA, or, if you’re looking for budget-friendly options…
- Use foundations/concealers of different shades to create highlighting and contouring effects
- Mix eyeshadow pigments or creams, lipsticks, or cream blushes with foundations/concealers or moisture creams to create custom colors
Pro Tip: Get creative with the products you have!
Ready to start stocking your makeup kit? As a QC Makeup Academy student, you’re eligible for many amazing discounts with top cosmetic companies—including MAC! Take a look at the complete list.