Avant-garde makeup is used on the runways, in editorial shoots, or simply on clients who want a bold look! Being able to come up with something dramatique and fashionable is a skill all makeup artists should master.
QC Makeup Academy student, Melissa Hanes, takes us through a complete avant-garde makeup application using a range of premium and budget products, guided by tutor Azzi Williams.
Prep the skin:
- First, moisturize by using a foundation brush to lightly blend the product into the skin
- With a foundation brush, apply primer around the nose and T-zone to minimize pores and fine lines
- Create your base by applying a full coverage foundation with your same foundation brush
- Use a concealer under the eye to conceal dark areas and blemishes, blending it in with a sponge
- Set your foundation and concealer by lightly dusting a translucent setting powder over the entire face
- Shape and fill the brows with powder in light sweeping motions to create a natural look
- In light strokes, use a fan brush to contour the cheekbones
- Give color to the face by applying blush on the apples of the cheeks
- Lightly dust highlighter along the cheekbones
- Apply eye primer from the lash line all the way to the brow bone
- Use a natural shadow color to neutralize the eyelid
- Use a short angled brush and gel liner to carve out your desired shape
- Then use a flat brush to fill in your outlined shape
- Go back in with your angled brush to fill in any gaps
- Set your gel liner by applying a matte black eyeshadow
- Apply a light shade to highlight the brow bone using a fluffy brush
- Line the lower lash line with your black eyeshadow
Complete your look by applying mascara and selecting your desired lip color!