Avant-Garde Makeup Tutorial with Melissa Hanes
Avant-garde makeup is used on the runways, in editorial shoots, or simply on clients who want a bold look! Being able to come up with something dramatique and fashionable is a skill all makeup artists should master.
QC Makeup Academy student, Melissa Hanes, takes us through a complete avant-garde makeup application using a range of premium and budget products, guided by tutor Azzi Williams.
Prep the skin:
- First, moisturize by using a foundation brush to lightly blend the product into the skin
- With a foundation brush, apply primer around the nose and T-zone to minimize pores and fine lines
- Create your base by applying a full coverage foundation with your same foundation brush
- Use a concealer under the eye to conceal dark areas and blemishes, blending it in with a sponge
- Set your foundation and concealer by lightly dusting a translucent setting powder over the entire face
- Shape and fill the brows with powder in light sweeping motions to create a natural look
- In light strokes, use a fan brush to contour the cheekbones
- Give color to the face by applying blush on the apples of the cheeks
- Lightly dust highlighter along the cheekbones
- Apply eye primer from the lash line all the way to the brow bone
- Use a natural shadow color to neutralize the eyelid
- Use a short angled brush and gel liner to carve out your desired shape
- Then use a flat brush to fill in your outlined shape
- Go back in with your angled brush to fill in any gaps
- Set your gel liner by applying a matte black eyeshadow
- Apply a light shade to highlight the brow bone using a fluffy brush
- Line the lower lash line with your black eyeshadow
Complete your look by applying mascara and selecting your desired lip color!
Thanks for watching! For more expert advice on makeup, check out the Makeup Tutorials archives here on the Beauty Buzz Blog!